Three quotes on the subject of change
“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights”. - Muhammad Ali
"It is not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
- “We don’t do this work because we feel like it in the moment. We do this work, this draining emotional labor, because we’re professionals, and because we want to make change happen. Emotional labor is the work we do to provide service”. - Seth Godin
Little, often and quietly, three thoughts on change
- It is easy to think something is not working when after the first, second and 75th time nothing happens, all of a sudden time 76 results in a massive shift. How often do we never get to that point, stopping before the cumulative effort builds up. We know about the straw that broke the camels back (negative story) flip that around and celebrate the straw, only one piece was enough to breakthrough, but hundreds had to go first.
- What others see as overnight success or a singular act may be the result of weeks, months or years worth of effort. Grind behind the scenes is celebrated, yet the ability to accept the mundane is not. We laud how busy we are, we celebrate the all nighters. lets start recognising the quiet work that happens without the fan fare.
- No one will ever congratulate you for adding a vegetable to your plate. Healthy actions tend to offer limited short term gratification yet unhealthy ones tend to be more fun. But it need not be this way.
When the work is done quietly and consistently as that is what 'healthy' people do, success will happen. Others see miracle breakthroughs, you see what you expected all along and then carry on with being a healthy person.
The daily action can be emotional, it can be draining, but we are grown ups, we do the work because we want to provide service to ourselves and others. The more we do what needs to be done the less it becomes a transaction with ourself.
No more bargaining, be instead of do, look at change as a transformation rather than a transaction.
It can still be fun:
- Pair change with something you find fun - I can only watch x sat on the trainer bike. I can only eat x after I have done Y. I will scroll FB for 5mins after I have made three calls.
- Go streaking by ticking off the action each day. An X on a diary or tracking app.
- Avoid failure with friendly support. Offer cash if you don’t, pooling money in which you loose a share when you don’t do x.
- Reward the work, if I do this for a week I will….
- Be curious. What would the healthier, happier you do? Tap into the vision of the future you.
Reading to reality...
If you are in the process of change or contemplating where to start I offer support through coaching.
Get 500HKD off your first coaching session with code '500' you can book here .
Until next time.