Each of us have our own stories and reason for being here, it's not for me to tell you your reasons but generally it's one of 6 things:
- Certainty - we want to control everything we can, expect no change, a short term strategy at best.
- Uncertainty - we want variety, surprises, turmoil to complain about.
- Significance - we want to be unique, special, important, needed, achieve -even if that means tearing others down.
- Connection/love - Can be blissful but also domination.
- Growth - progress = satisfaction.
- Contribution - to step outside ourselves, share to the world.
Only growth and contribution are fully in your control and both can be built in a single act. With each act, effort and choice you can contribute to growth. When enough choices point in the right direction you start trending forwards.
Even on the days which don't look or feel so great, once we zoom out and look back at the bigger picture we may still see we are still trending in better directions. It's not about being perfect all the time, it's about increasing the weight of better actions, becoming more consistent, fine tuning the processes and becoming more comfortable with who we are.
Growth never stops and we are always contributing to those around us, even if it's just a smile.